Sheeple and Money

Sheep have a tendency to follow the herd. Studies have shown that it takes only 5% percent to influence a crowd’s direction and have the other 95% follow without even realizing what is going on.* Sheeple can be defined as a mass of ignorant, unoriginal humans that herd together and follow mindlessly. This definition is not meant to offend anyone—because let’s face it—we’ve all been a part of the sheeple at various times in our lives. If you don’t know about something, it’s easy to follow people who seem to know what they’re doing, right?

I’m here today to give you a different perspective.

Here are the 5 worst money tips sheeple follow:

Sheeple Money Tip #1: “Put Your Money in a 401K”—This is a trap and requires your agreement and participation in order to perpetuate. It makes you become a passive spectator, trusting others to make decisions with your money. This was developed by lawmakers with guidance from Wall Street firms and support from the IRS to provide you with a tax benefit today if you were willing to surrender control of your money for your life time.

People who are totally uninterested in your well-being, with no obligation to help you, are making decisions for your money. They get their fees whether you win or lose.

Do you understand? You gave up control of your money until the age of retirement and if you take the money out before this period you are penalized 10% and then have to pay your taxes. Bottom line is you give up control and when you do that you no longer are in control.

Sheeple Money Tip #2: “Buy a Home”—This ties your money up. It can’t be invested anywhere else and when the markets contract so does your money—you are locked in hoping and dreaming that it will reach the high value it once had.

Contrary to popular belief, a home is not an asset; it’s a liability. It’s much better to rent what you own and own what you rent.

Sheeple Money Tip #3: “Invest Early”—Most people are worried about investing before they even get their money right. Focus on yourself and invest time and energy into yourself. Get your income right. If you have $10,000 only, your first thought shouldn’t be about investing.

I’d recommend waiting until you have $100,000 saved before making your first investment. Until then, keep investing in yourself. Investing early gives the idea that $50 a month will eventually get you wealthy. No, it won’t. You’ll be 70 years old and broke.

Sheeple Money Tip #4: “Diversify”—Rich people put all the eggs in one basket and protect that basket. Don’t put a lot of different eggs in a number of different baskets. Rich people make 1 big deal. Wall street sells diversification.

People don’t know what they are investing in.

Accumulate cash so you can put it in one big deal. People keep gambling with little pieces and get torched. You have to reduce your risk by doing your homework

Money Tip #5 offered to Sheeple: “Go to College”—There are over a trillion dollars in college debt and grads are earning little to no money to pay it back. College is a scam designed to keep your money in a system that doesn’t reward you. How many go $100,000 in debt for a degree they most likely won’t use?

Stop being lured by the old idea that a college degree is the only way to make it in life. I’m all for educating yourself, but you don’t need to go to a 4-year institution and postpone your career just to not make any money doing the thing you went to college for.

Sheeple will continue to fall for these money tips so long as these continue to be promoted in the media and by the government.

You’ve been warned.

What’s your favorite Sheeple Tip?

Be great,

GC

Grant Cardone is a New York Times bestselling author, the #1 sales trainer in the world, and an internationally renowned speaker on leadership, real estate investing, entrepreneurship, social media, and finance. His 5 privately held companies have annual revenues exceeding $100 million. Forbes named Mr. Cardone #1 of the “25 Marketing Influencers to Watch in 2017”. Grant’s straight-shooting viewpoints on the economy, the middle class, and business have made him a valuable resource for media seeking commentary and insights on real topics that matter. He regularly appears on Fox News, Fox Business, CNBC, and MSNBC, and writes for Forbes, Success Magazine, Business Insider, Entrepreneur.com, and the Huffington Post. He urges his followers and clients to make success their duty, responsibility, and obligation. He currently resides in South Florida with his wife and two daughters.

About The Author

  • Elijah Butow

    However, if you have left a job that gave you a 401k, that 401k can be rolled over (no taxes, no penalties) into a Traditional (pre-tax) or Roth (post-tax) Self-Directed Individual Retirement Account. SD IRAs can purchase stocks, bonds, funds, options, precious metals, digital currencies and, you guessed it, REAL ESTATE. Many people own apartments inside SD IRAs where all that cash flow piles up, tax free.