How to Hire the Right Creative Team – Pixel 506
What makes the difference between the best creative team and a mediocre one? How can you tell the difference? How can you be sure to find the right team for your business?
Here are some insider tips to help you hire the best team for your business.
Ask the right questions
Many designers and design teams comes to you with a portfolio. You want to look beyond the portfolio. You want to ask them the right questions to find out if they are actually good or not. Ask them this:
How are you going to solve X problem?
The answer you get from that question will tell you a whole lot more about the team than a look through their portfolio will. If your designer can’t answer this question for you, then you might get people who are great at designing, but not so great at strategy.
- How did you solve problems for previous customers?
- How will you come up with important milestones?
- How will you develop the strategy needed to draft the design from concept to implementation?
- How is your design strategy proven to accomplish a goal? Increasing leads, pushing sales, improving engagement, ect.?
These questions will give you a much better idea of the quality of product and service you are looking for.
Look for a team, not a single designer
Don’t expect a single designer to be able to do everything. Some people can, but they are few and far between…and usually very expensive. You’ll do much better for yourself by looking for a team of experts.
Make sure your creative team has experts on:
- Graphic Design
- User Experience/Design Thinking/Service Design
- Video Editor
- Bonus points if a creative team is linked to a programming team. You’ll see even more benefits.
In the end, you have to ask yourself, do you want a jack of all trades, master of none? Or do you want a team of people, each focused on perfecting their specific art?
Check if they’ve done their homework
When receiving a pitch or a proposal, you want your creative team do fact-finding before they come face-to-face with you. This shows that they are serious about solving the problems you have. How do you know if they’ve done their homework right?
- Ask informed and curious questions about your company and how they can help you.
- Customize their proposal or pitch deck to target you and your company.
- Drive the meeting, always moving forward, and trying to help you solve your problems.
The Best Creative Team
You should feel confident in the abilities of your creative team to create visually pleasing, strategic solutions for your problems. If they impress you in these three areas, and can back it up with data, then you have a winner on your hands. Don’t settle for mediocre when strategic design can make such a difference for your company!
Takeaway Tips: Hiring the Best Creative Team
- Ask the right questions- questions that tell you about the strategy and thoughtful methods of the potential creative team.
- Look for a team, not a single designer- and make sure the team members are experts in each of their fields.
- Check if they’ve done their homework- that they are actively engaged in solving your company’s problems and know what they’re about.