6 steps to get your dream job in 2017—And it’s not what you think
Some of you are currently out of work. Others of you are already employed but want something better. It’s tough getting a new job either way—and sending out your resume just doesn’t cut it. Despite what it may seem, there are many people out there looking to hire, and I want to encourage you today that you can get any job you want, even if you are unemployed. I know all about the things most job seekers do wrong. Earlier this year I did a reality TV series on hiring people.
I can assure you that most people don’t know these 6 tips to get hired in today’s marketplace:
1. Never Rely On Resumes—You should have a resume and you need to keep it current and show all of your accomplishments, but the resume isn’t going to land you your job. I don’t even look at someone’s resume at my company. The resume is about what you have done but all I care about is what you can do for me in the future. Businesses don’t hire a resume they hire people that can help the company bring in more revenue. Never rely on a resume.
2. Stop Counting On Recruiters—The truth is others shouldn’t need to get you your next job. Headhunters and recruiters are representing many people and they won’t present you better than you will. You need to have the mindset that you are the only one that will make this new job thing happen! Don’t leave it up to recruiters and pass the responsibility to them. You are dependent upon you.
3. Don’t Depend On the HR Department—Seek to bypass HR even though this is not politically correct. Your goal is to find out who knows the players in the company and get your story in front of the decision makers. HR are just the gatekeepers. It is the decision makers who have the most invested in moving the company forward. You want to get in front of them, not in front of HR. That said, treat the HR people like millionaires and you might get to the decision makers.
4. Quit Leaning on the Internet—Too many people do all their job searching on social networking sites and while they may be a good place to get a date, it will not get you your dream job. Let the other 25 million people depend on the ‘net’ while you get yourself physically in front of decision makers. It’s one thing to pitch yourself on a computer screen, quite another to do it in person. Unplug and get outside.
5. Get Great at Selling—Everything in life is a sale and everything you want is a commission. If you want a job, you will have to sell yourself. Never go into an interview like the majority do. They just are looking to be interviewed. You go in to sell yourself. Never communicate from the viewpoint of what the company can do for you but what you can do for the company. My book Sell or Be Sold discusses how to sell yourself to decision makers about why you are the one they should hire.
6. Superfreak the Interview—I’m not talking about being crazy or doing something dumb just for attention. I’m talking about doing a great presentation. Don’t talk about what you have done in the past, but about what you are going to do for the company in the future. Make big claims and focus on making the company revenue. Things like being a team player, loyalty, and dependability may be some of your attributes, but they will not land you your dream job. Keep your focus on how you bring revenue to the company—and never talk about how you have been let go wrongly or how bad your past employers were. Stay positive and be memorable.
To get your dream job in 2017, take the attitude that getting that job you want is now your new job. If you have to spend 40 hours a week doing it, then do it. For now, even if you have to take something you consider beneath you, take it until you can find that job you do want. It is better to stay connected in the workforce with less pay than be disconnected from others. Besides, you need the income from a job—any job.
Don’t listen to those that say no one is hiring. It’s a lie. Plenty of people are willing to hire GREAT people. There are always businesses looking for productive, solution-oriented people that can grow their revenue. Have the attitude that you will find your job and stay away from other unemployed people who bitch and moan about their lot in life.
No matter what your job is, I’m offering a killer deal for everyone today who wants to have a killer 2017 and expand big time. Get on Cardone University today.