10 Biggest Mistakes When Buying Real Estate
In this Show
1. You’re not buying: If you don’t buy, it’s because you don’t know what you’re doing
2. Buying too small: This happens when you become scared thinking that big deals are riskier. This is false, small deals are riskier.
3. Buying on a Budget: don’t be confined to what you can “afford”. Don’t have a budget when you buy, have a budget when you own.
4. Believing the Pro Forma: don’t put significance on a fairy tale.
5. Underestimate expenses: taxes and insurance aren’t fully understood.
6. Not funding Capital costs—roofs, carpets, etc. need to be funded, so set some aside for when you will need it.
7. Over leveraging—borrowing too much money.
8. Under leveraging—not borrowing money.
9. Buying on CAP rates: If you’re only looking at 8 caps, you’ll miss out on good deals that don’t fit your criteria.
10. Not knowing: ignorance is not bliss.